Paying all staff and faculty at least living wage

Article 115:

The Council of Ministers shall, when necessary, have the right to determine the minimum wages either in general or with respect to a given area or occupation. 

Such decision of the Council of Ministers shall be issued on the recommendation of the Minister of Labor, and the decision of the Council of Ministers shall be considered effective from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette. 

In recommending the minimum wages, the Minister of Labor shall seek the assistance of a committee composed of the Deputy Ministers of Labor, Finance and National Economy, Petroleum and Mineral Resources, and Commerce and Industry. 

The Minister of Labor shall, by decision, add to them two other members of experience and knowledge he shall select. The committee shall be called to a meeting whenever the Minister of Labor deems it necessary. 

Article 116:

The workman’s wages and any amount due to him must be paid in the official currency of the country. Wages must be paid during working hours and at the place of work in accordance with the following provisions: 

  • Wages of daily-rated workmen shall be paid at least once a week. 
  • Wages of monthly-rated workmen shall be paid once a month. 
  • If the work is performed by piece and it needs a period exceeding two weeks, a payment proportionate to the work completed by the workman must be made to him every week, and the full balance of his wages shall be paid within the week immediately following the delivery of the work. 
  • In cases other than those mentioned above, wages shall be paid to workmen at least once a week. 

Article 117:

If the workman’s service terminates, his wages shall be paid immediately; however, if he leaves the work of his own accord his wages may in this case be paid within seven days at the most from the date of his leaving the work. 

Article 119:

No amount may be deducted from the workman’s wages in satisfaction of private rights, except in respect of the following: 

  • To recover the advances or any amounts paid to him in excess of his rights, provided no deduction shall, in this case, be made from the workman’s wages in excess of 10% of such wages. 
  • Social insurance premiums due from the workman. 
  • The workman’s contributions to the Savings Fund and the advances due to this Fund. 
  • Installments pertaining to any plan for the construction of houses for the purpose of transferring ownership thereof to the workmen, or to any other benefits or services, if any, as decided by the Minister of Labor. 
  • Fines that are inflicted on the workman for offenses committed by him under the provision of Article 126, as well as any amount that is withheld from his pay in accordance with Article 81, for any damage he has caused. 
  • Any debt to be recovered in execution of a judiciary judgment, provided that the amount deducted in this respect shall not exceed one-fourth of the wages due to the workman and provided that an alimony debt and a debt for food, clothing, and lodging shall be satisfied in this order and before all other debts. 

Article 120:

In all cases, the percentage of the amounts deducted shall not exceed one-half of the wages due to the workman, unless the Commission finds that it is possible to increase the deduction beyond such percentage, or that the workman needs more than one-half of his salary. In this latter case, the workman shall under no condition be paid more than three-fourths of his salary. 

Article 121:

If any amount is deducted from the workman’s wages for reasons other than those specified herein, without the latter’s consent, or if the employer delays, without justification, payment of the workman’s wages when they fall due in accordance with the Law, the workman, his representative, or the Head of the appropriate Labor Office may submit an application to the appropriate Commission so that it may order the employer to return to the workman any wrongfully-deducted amounts or to pay him his outstanding wages. 

If it is established to the said Commission that the employer has unjustifiably deducted the said amounts or delayed payment of the wages, the Commissions may impose on the employer a fine that shall not exceed double the amount deducted from the workman’s wages, or double the outstanding wages. All pavements ordered by the Commission in this case shall be collected through administrative channels. 

Read more

لا تعليق

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *